Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Living Holistically: A Not so Healthy Health Major’s Journey, Into a Well-Balanced Life!

About My Project 
It is now time to formally introduce my senior year Interdisciplinary capstone project to the world. It involves creating an interactive blog where people can follow my own personal journey into a well-balanced lifestyle. In creating my Health Science major I have taken various aspects from the Health Education and Health Promotion programs offered here at Plymouth State University. Therefore I have extensive background in living holistically and happy, but there is a catch. I know all of the secrets and tips to live a healthy lifestyle, but I am lacking on the implementation of them in my own personal life. If I am going to be an advocate for living holistically I should be practicing these skills within my own life, right? 
Photo by Lisa Maria
More Information!
Delivery of My Project 
The mission of this project will be to show the transformation of a sedentary lifestyle to a well-balanced one! This will be completed by creating a highly interactive blog with bi-weekly or weekly posts, depends on the topic at hand. Seeing how it will be interactive followers can submit challenges they are having within their own personal lives, and I will do my best to respond with my health professional advice. Also, there are many health myths out there, so I will be taking on these delusions head on. The blog will be the end product of my project, but hopefully I can create a following that will allow me to continue this far into the future. 
Basis in Interdisciplinary Theory 

I will be drawing from elements of different Interdisciplinary theories to create my interactive blogging experience. In creating this blog I will mainly be using the Transdisciplinary avenue and Broad Model. With the transdisciplinary approach it involves two different populations, people who are looking to advance their overall health, and people who have knowledge in the health field. Both of these populations are looking to gain more information. They will be receiving this information from me and my journey. With the information they are going to be getting it will come from various disciplines and I will be integrating them together so their health questions can be answered. This integration is also known as the Broad Model. This model uses the disciplinary tools to create some common ground among all of the different topics. In my case living holistically will be the common bond between all of the questions and tasks at hand. 
Interdisciplinary Research 
Photo by Sara Rose Wheeler
More Information! 
There is going to be a vast amount of disciplines that I am going to be pulling from to inform my readers and followers about the importance of living holistically. The main two disciplines that I am going to be using are obviously Health Promotion and Health Education, along with aspects of Nutrition. With these three as my main topics I will definitely have more than enough information to pull from when writing more research based topics for my weekly posts. Getting my blog “out” and gaining a strong following is going to be huge for the success of my overall project. Therefore I am going to have to rely heavily on communications and marketing, other known as Social Media. Seeing how almost everyone is attached at all times to some sort of media source it will be a great advantage to my capstone project. This will be the main way to communicate with my followers, and receive feedback and requests for upcoming blog posts. If I get the following that I want this could quite easily become a lifelong project that I can do, and help many people out worldwide. 
Project Timeline...


8 comments:

  1. I think your blog will be very helpful for many people. I think it will be very interesting for readers to read about the breaking the myths. For your blog, you really need to make sure you will advertise it properly. It is important since you want to interact with followers. It is hard to promote the blog and especially if there is no enough time this semester. You could try to promote your blog on other blogs and add the link. It would help with getting more followers. I like how you mentioned the use of social media. It is very important for any blog and it can very help with promoting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I love about this blog is the fact that you are going to are not just talking about how to live holistically, but you are implementing it to your life! By doing that it will make the blog a lot more personable. Since you want this blog to be interactive, make sure you are responding to people's comments often. This shows that you want the interaction between you and your readers. You might also want to ask your audience about what health myths they know and would like clarification about it. Doing this will make your blog more interactive. I am very interested in seeing this blog since I do not know much about the holistic lifestyle and want to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a very unique idea for your capstone project! I think it is great that this project requires you to be updating it and adding content on a weekly basis, so it leaves little room for you to fall off the wagon so to speak with your progress. You are so outgoing and friendly that I am not at all surprised that you want to do a project that involves interacting with others. Something to think about when creating your blog is what will make you unique? What will your blog offer to your readers that other blogs don't? What type of resources will you provide to your followers (workout tips, recipes, links to other helpful health resources, etc)? I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am genuinely excited to read your blog! I have struggled with my health throughout college so I would love to have a blog that I can turn to when i need help or advice. I think one blog post or web page that was dedicated to a college student's guide to staying healthy while being surrounded by poor health choices. I believe that so many people struggle with it, such as the Freshman 15. This is going to be an awesome project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kaitlyn - Who do you anticipate as your main audience with this blog? Keeping in mind the specifics of that audience will be key in creating a tool that appeals to the set of people you expect to serve...so I'd suggest some thinking about who that will be. The blog might look very different, depending upon who your target will be. This is a neat idea! -Dr. O'Donnell

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Dr. O'Donnell's point about the audience is a good one. Trying to write for both health professionals and non-experts who are hoping to transform their own health might be a tall order. It may be hard to really captivate both audiences. I would aim for folks who are wanting to make their own lifestyle changes, since I think something like this will appeal to them. What will distinguish you from the BILLION of other blogs like this is that you will incorporate research and best practices from the fields so that your readers-- and you-- will have really reliable techniques with which to engage. But when you talk about what the experts say and the research shows, you will want to translate those ideas into plain English, and then show how you enact them with your new lifestyle choices. So it sounds great! just remember to focus your audience and keep a scholarly component so it's not just another personal blog with no ties to the fields you are studying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember reading your ideas about the blog in one of your other post and I am glad you are doing it! I think this will be a neat experience to see what what people have for questions for you that you may not have thought about yet. I am very excited to read it as well, I need to get my life on a healthier tract! My one concern is how it is going to be interactive with other people, how will you get this blog out there! From reading a few comments I know you have a few of us interested but I think you should really try to get it out there further somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete