Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Art therapy
is best described as a mental health profession where children will explore art media, the creative process, and the resulting artwork to explore their feelings. What I will be sharing with you is how the children I work with will have the opportunities to reconcile emotional conflicts, foster self-awareness, manage behavior, develop social skills, improve reality orientation, reduce anxiety, and increase self-esteem. I am always eager to learn more, grow from, and excel. (AATA)

My personal qualities combined with my diverse experience through Interdisciplinary Studies will contribute to The Hunter School's success. I have had the opportunity through my education and time studying Interdisciplinary Studies to acquire a diverse outlook on many disciplines and am able to acknowledge biases of myself and others. I will be showcasing my work in Expressive Arts with a curriculum I have been working on with the inclusion of my multidisciplinarian background. I will be able to continuously work on this curriculum and cross reference it with my experiences at the Hunter School. As well as sharing my curriculum I will be creating an interactive website that will allow viewers to see that the student's will not only be able to create art work, they will acquire knowledge, history, and skills of their own. Through an expressive arts experience we will focus on the process, resulting to a more mindful experience.

My goal in becoming a part of the Hunter School team is to share my knowledge of the Arts, Psychology, and Early Childhood Studies disciplines through their Energetic Mindfulness Approach
To explain further; I will be utilizing my knowledge of art education, studio art, art history, and expressive arts to create appropriate lessons for the children. With Psychology, I have had the opportunities to study the mental functions and behaviors of children.  As well as gaining experience in creating and pursuing experiments on the effects of emotions and memory, this will allow me to have a focus in my lesson plans that will be a big part in the process the students will be experiencing. With Early Childhood Studies, I will be able to take my many experiences and time spent in other settings, with other curriculum's and other educators. With this I will be able to know the appropriateness of my lesson and how it will be accepted in the Department of Education. 

Here is a link of a short clip of an Andy Warhol inspired PopART lesson. The video is just a piece of the work that we do! Myself as well as the woman who is an amazing influence in my life now, we'll call her Julin, are working on creating more, and more developed ones for the website! 

Children's work displayed in school 
Through this CAPSTONE project I will be able to show how I have become an critical pluralist. For those who may be reading this and have not had the opportunity to study Interdisciplinary Studies, critical pluralist's believe that other judgments are well-reasoned  and that knowledge can be objective. This is an important accomplishment because being able to understand the nature of knowledge and how you may determine the truth. Being a critical pluralist can also be described as being in a sophisticated epistemic position; this is explained as seeing multiple and conflicting perspectives as pieces of understandings of the subject. 


To take this another step further my CAPSTONE will be able to share with the viewer how I have interrogated the perspectives, as well as thinking critically about the disciplinary insights. The three critical attitudes I will be able to reflect on are, awareness of the limitations of expertise; the more time spent researching and studying the disciplines I am working with, the greater my awareness of any limitations. Self awareness; being aware of other biases as well as my own, and lastly Intellectual courage; taking the courage to challenge my own beliefs and the worldview as well as being able to disagree with friends, family, and other spectacles. You will also see that I will be working with the Broad Model Approach to my integration. You will see this through my reflections on the instrumentalist focus on problem solving and at the same time being useful for engaging in critical interdisciplinarity.
"secret garden" Day 1 of my own studio time

PHEW! Now that we got through that, below is an overview of my timeline! As many of you know things pop-up and change, but I will be working on this daily because it is going to be something that I use everyday!

"figures" my own studio time
My timeline with this is Sunday through Sunday, including my time where I will be working at the Hunter School working with my curriculum and documenting my time as well as preparing for the interactive website. The weekend will require for me to gather my notes and continuously work on the curriculum and website with a colleague who has experience in web-design. As I continue my exploration the specific dates that I will be showcasing my journey include:
·         Tuesday March 24, where I will be referencing back to this blog and explore how the first four steps of the Broad Model will affect my plans.


·         Tuesday March 31, I will begin my Literature Search.  I will be Creating a chart with listed disciplines, authors, focus of insight, and evaluation of insight
·         Tuesday April 7, I will read 2 more articles, take notes, and fill in chart more.
·         Thursday April 9- Thursday April 30 I will be working on my project in any area that needs focus.
·         Tuesday, May 5, Bring draft of completed project paper to class.
·         Thursday, May 7, Finish paper revisions and start screencast.
·         Final Exam is Tuesday, May 12 from 5-6:15pm

·         Post a screencast of my full project PPT and a copy of my full project paper in a single post.  **I will give a 5 minute version of your PPT at our exam.  

6 comments:

  1. SO excited to see the end result of your project. I think it's great that you are going to be helping some children out in the process. This is a project that you can keep once you have graduated. Who knows how many people you can impact in a positive way through art. Have you ever thought of doing a gallery night? I think that could be a great way to show off all the the creations that were made! Just a thought let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kimberly - I'm interested to hear where you think you fit in the "timeline" of this type of work...do your ideas stem from previously laid pathways or are you attempting to do something entirely new here? - Dr. O'Donnell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. O'Donnell, I think I may be a little confused with how you worded your question, I am coming in to the school I work at creating my own program. Of course I do utilize previous knowledge and real life experiences especially when working with children and families, because it is always changing. Working with children and families from diverse backgrounds, and children with many different learning capabilities, my work is never the same for a group of children.

      Delete
  3. Your enthusiasm is palpable, and that is so exciting! Dr. O'Donnell is correct that you will want to situate your curriculum and research into context, and survey a few other popular Art Therapy approaches to show how yours grows from and is distinct from what has come before. A couple of other comments: make sure we clarify the website-- I am not totally sure now what will be on there (your curriculum will be delivered that way?), so make sure you sketch that plan earlier rather than later in the process. Also, make sure you cite your sources here (not just pics, but text, too, when you borrow it from other places), so go back and edit to do that (mostly first paragraph with AATA info). Good work here overall!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been exploring how the first four STEPS of the Broad Model will affect my plans. The following is what I have researched in Repko's book, and what I will be working on throughout my CAPstone.
    The First, Define the Problem or State the Research Question. With this I need to ask myself what is a good research question? In Repko's Interdisciplinary Studies it mentions two ways to develop this.
    a. It must be complex- multiple parts and that each part is studied by a different discipline.
    b. It must be researchable in an interdisciplinary sense- experts from 2 or more disciplines have written about it.
    For STEP 2 I will justify using an Interdisciplinary Approach, (page 210).
    -Commonly used justifications: statement in introduction justifying an interdisciplinary approach.
    Typically making 2 or more of the following points:
    • The problem or research question is complex
    -The topic or problem has parts that fall within the research domains of 2 or more disciplines.
    -Needs to be studied using both interdisciplinary process and one or more disciplinary methods.
    • Important insights into the problem are offered by 2 or more disciplines
    -Reflect the perspectives of the disciplines that produce them.
    -Conflict in multiple ways:
    1. In their understanding of the problem
    2. In the methods they use to study the problem
    3. In the language or discourse they use
    • No single discipline has been able to address the problem comprehensively
    -The study takes into consideration all relevant insights regardless of the discipline that have produced them.
    • The problem is an unresolved issue or unmet societal needs.
    -Leaving all sides unsatisfied.
    -Problem-focused research: distinct from what is called basic research or pure theoretical research because it focuses on societal needs and practical problem solving.
    STEP 3 Identifying relevant disciplines- disciplines that are potentially relevant to the problem and ends with identifying disciplines that are the most relevant
    - Potentially relevant discipline: problem falls within its research domain but it is not known whether the discipline’s experts have written about the problem.
    - Relevant: if discipline’s experts have produced one or more insights into the problem.
    STEP 4 Conduct a Literature Search- Involves 3 practices to avoid mistakes (pg. 231)
    1. Categorize publications according to their disciplinary source- failing to pay attention to the disciplinary source of insights.
    2. Focus on quality rather than quantity- influenced by the quantity of insights a discipline has produced.
    3. Develop a data management system- failing to develop a system that permits easy retrieval of critical information from the insights you are analyzing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to say, I love Kaitlyn's idea of doing a gallery night (of course with consent for the kids). That would be a great way to promote what they are doing by showing pride in their work.
    Also, I think this is a wonderful idea and I'm so excited to read about it. The more you talked about it, the more intrigued I've become. I really cannot wait to see the end of it and to hear how it's going along the way.
    Wish I could give some suggestions, but I think this is really coming along quite nicely.
    Good luck with the project!!

    ReplyDelete