Thursday, February 19, 2015

Type 2 Diabetes in Children

Type 2 Diabetes

Type 2 diabetes, once called non-insulin-dependent diabetes, is the MOST common form of diabetes. It is affecting 90% to 95% of the 26 million Americans with diabetes. These statistics are those of adults, but sadly there is a rise of Type 2 diabetes in children. More and more children are being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. 


The following are risk factors are associated with Type 2 diabetes in children...


  • Being overweight
  • Family history of diabetes 
  • Female gender
  • Specific ethnic groups (American Indian, African-American, Asian or Hispanic/Latino) 
  • Other problems with insulin resistance 

The single greatest risk factor in children is excess weight. In the U.S. nearly one out of every five children is considered to be overweight, chances are more than doubled that the child will develop diabetes. One or more of these factors may contribute to excess weight or obesity: 

  • Unhealthy eating patterns 
  • Lack of physical activity 
  • An inherited tendency 
  • Rarely, a hormone problem or other medical condition

There are many components that can influence the chances of a child getting Type 2 Diabetes. As a society I believe if we look at the whole picture, there can be a positive change in to future! 
I would love to hear your opinions on the topic....what do you think?! 

5 comments:

  1. Great choice of issue for this exercise! Do remember to cite your sources; especially when you use statistics, readers will want to know where your data and information come from. You can use parenthetical citations like you would in a paper, or even better, you can hyperlink to the original sources so readers can follow along with the research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Professor DeRosa! I will try to add those hyperlinks ASAP!!!!!

      Delete
  2. This is a great choice, and really hits home for me. Although I do not know anyone with type 2 diabetes, my boyfriend, along with a couple of friends, have type 1 diabetes. Although I do recognize the differences, it is a struggle all around for anyone who is effected, even those who have a relationship with the person affected.
    Another risk factor that I do not believe you mentioned, which is one that makes me most upset, is the shorter life expectancy. People with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes tend to have a shorter life period which is very unfortunate and troubling. Although medication and science is helping with this problem, it still hasn't been solved.
    I think what you chose for disciplines is great, and you did a wonderful job on the research. Hopefully this does not become a large issue and is soon forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaitlyn I would love to see where you got your information. This is such a strong topic, and one that probably affects every family. I have an auto-immune disease that makes me have a higher risk of getting type two, and I am very conscious of everything I put in to my body. As well as stress!

    Christine, my cousin has type one and it is such a hard thing to live with and keep up with. He has gone through quite a bit of procedures, its hard sometimes because I know I personally wish there was more I could do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have added the hyperlink for you guys! Thanks so much for the feedback, it means a lot on my new blogging journey!
    I feel extremely passionate about this particular topic! I feel as though it will have to be a societal change to make some sort of impact here. I think starting within the school systems is where we can make some progress. School lunches and providing yearly screenings would be a great place to start!
    What do you guys think?!

    ReplyDelete