Monday, February 2, 2015

Hello!

Hi Everyone!

My name is Carly Burrows. I apologize for the late post but I wanted to tell you a little bit about myself.

I grew up in Madison, Connecticut on the shoreline. I was recruited to play women's lacrosse at Plymouth my Junior year of high school. After looking at the whole picture and having the opportunity to visit Plymouth multiple times, I knew Plymouth was right for me.

I started out as an Education major, switched to Exercise and Sport Physiology, and then this past year is when I put together my Interdisciplinary Studies Degree that mirrors an Allied Health Science degree. My disciplines include Biology, Chemistry, and Physical Education. This degree is a building block for graduate school. I would like to go into Nursing, Cardiac Perfusion, or become a Physician Assistant. I am not entirely sure yet which career path I am going to pursue but this degree has certainly opened up many doors for me for the future.

I played lacrosse at Plymouth for 2 and a half years. I served as a team captain for my last semester playing. I absolutely love the sport and had played for a total of 8 and a half years. I ended up quitting the end of my junior year because my course load was extremely demanding and I had an internship that I wanted to devote more of my time to. Additionally, I got married! I got married last January to my husband who is a Navy Corpsman. He works with marines and is stationed at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. I moved to North Carolina this past May. I will not be present in the face-to-face classes for that reason but I am actively participating behind the scenes!

It was a bit of a shock moving down here. I will tell you one thing...we don't have a foot of snow right now. I thought I would like a break from blizzards but I miss snow more than I thought I would! However, I could not be happier to be down here with my husband and our two rescue dogs, Blue and Chubs. He got back from a deployment overseas this past October. Deployment taught me a lot about myself and only made us stronger. While he was deployed my support system at Plymouth and at home was tremendous.

My husband and I at the Marine Corps Birthday
Ball shortly after he returned home from deployment.
Our rescue dogs, Blue (left) and Chubs (right).


I really look forward to what this course has in store for us! I wish you all a happy semester!

Stay warm! :)

~Carly Burrows~


7 comments:

  1. I am jealous-- we had a snow day here at PSU for most of today! Good to meet you, Carly, and happy to be working with you. Since you will be taking the course online, be sure to be in touch regularly so we can touch base as you go. Your degree program sounds very flexible and current, so I imagine great things are in store for you as you get closer to graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you! Health Science sounds very interesting, I cannot wait to read more of your journey. A lot of hard work, but when you are passionate about something and see your goals, it makes it seem like less work and more play. Have you thought of any schools you would like to go to after you finish at Plymouth? I know they have a great Nursing Program now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimberly! I am definitely starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel so it is becoming more enjoyable. I can not really start looking into schools until my husband relocates in the military. We won't know where we are going next until March, and we won't move until next February, and then I will start to look into different schools. So it makes it a bit more complicated when you throw the military into the mix! PSU does have a great nursing program now! I wish they had an accelerated program!

      Delete
  3. Hi Carly. I think you made a good choice when you decided to take the interdisciplinary path. It will give you more opportunities for your future career. And North Carolina sounds great. I would definitely trade the weather with you. And by the way, I think your dogs are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Iveta! Thank you, I am extremely happy that I looked into IS and pursued my degree. It is definitely the perfect fit for me and my career goals. Thanks! I love my pus!

      Delete
  4. YOUR DOGS ARE SO CUTE. Also, happy belated anniversary! You two are adorable. I am glad you mentioned how your interdisc choice opened a lot of doors for you- even though going into IS I didn't know where I wanted to eventually take it, I ended up deciding to go for it knowing that it would open up more doors for me than just my one major either way. Good for you for continuing your education online, I only live 30 minutes away from Plymouth but this is the only class I have to attend in-person because of it so I sort of know how it feels to be away from campus life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Izzy, thank you! They're a total handful but I love them! Thank you again for the warm wishes :) It was nice to have him home for our anniversary! IS definitely opens up so many doors. Some people questioned me when I was making the change and said "aren't you kind of throwing a bunch of stuff together?" "wouldn't you be better off just choosing one of those disciplines?" and what they didn't realize is combining key courses from my chosen disciplines is opening up so many more doors and opportunities for me. I'm glad you chose to go for it too! I used to dread online classes, but I am so thankful for them now that I have moved down the coast!

      Delete