Thursday, February 5, 2015

Art Integration

Art Integration discusses how the University of Wisconsin-Stout plans to launch Arts Integration Menomonie (AIM) to better support teachers and students working towards the profession. AIM is incorporating arts into the curricular and instructional planning from kindergarten through third-grade.

Art integration is becoming more known widely and more respected with practice. This method of teaching and learning uses fine and performing arts for primary learning. Arts integration is used in an entirely different way than arts education. This is because of its inclusion of both arts discipline and a traditional subject as part of learning. An example is the use of improvisational drama to learn of the struggles in writing, science, and even civics.

This video takes you through the steps a school takes to appropriately utilize art integration. I highly suggest everyone to watch this especially if you wish to work with children in the future. (but you should watch it anyways if you are not!)
For me having Early Childhood studies as one of my disciplines, I am so excited about this. When I am working with children through arts I am constantly sharing with them other disciplines that they connect with. In fact when writing a lesson plan I write in any disciplines that the lesson connects with. 
Can you recall any time in your schooling where you may have encountered art integration? I remember in my earlier school more specifically. When my teacher would show the class a picture and we would diagnose it. For example showing a picture of flowers and discussing which ones bees would be attracted to, and then going into a more science background.

Images credit shout out goes to  www.artsintegrationmenomonie.org Thank You.

11 comments:

  1. Your font is making me crazy!!! That is not to say it is bad...just a personal thing, and probably some folks adore it, so don't change on account of me and my boring tastes. Ok, that aside, I love everything about this. Roo's favorite project so far this year was making a 3D model of an actual diner that she had to design. They learned computer skills in designing the menu, nutrition in choosing the food items, math in pricing everything-- even some marketing. But it was the design of the 3D model that integrated it all together, and that's why she adored the project so much. Great to see a new generation of educators interested in how the arts can help people learn across so many different subjects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, I'm totally obsessed with the arts, so this was an awesome read for me. Last fall I took a class called "Integrated Arts," and I loved being able to learn how to use the arts as a tool throughout the curriculum. I'm glad that arts integration is becoming more and more prevant in school curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin, I can respect where you are coming from for sure! It is hard for me to keep my full attention when there is not enough aesthetics. I could be going aesthetic crazy because of my enthusiasm! haha

    Roo's project sounds amazing, I love reading/hearing of real life stories of Integration. I am looking forward to witnessing more and more classrooms participating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the font personally! I think it adds a nice flare to the post.

    As for the contents of the posts, I think it's really interesting to read, and of course, as an IS major in Therapeutic Art, this is absolutely wonderful to read.

    I love hearing that the arts are becoming more integrated with the academics! Awesome find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest, I love the font too!!! Your post actually inspired me to get all funky with my font!
    While reading your post, I couldn't help but remember my elementary school experience and how I learned the most when art was integrated into our classroom. I think when kids are young, they need hands on and visual learning to truly absorb the information the teacher is trying to get them to learn. I found when I was younger then only time I was fully engaged in class was when I was participating physically with arts and crafts or watching my teacher use pictures and drawings. Kids need to be creative and kids most definitely need art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Kimberly. The art integration program video for the middle school curriculum that you recommended was interesting. It is a great approach that educators utilize art into several other learning domains including physical movements and critical thinking. While I was learning their strategies, I was curious about how those teachers united art integration and the special subjects, such as science and math. The improved students’ performance was a positive result because the teachers chose appropriate methods for their students, and they made learning more fun and visual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, thank you everyone! I am so happy to read such positive feedbacks on Art integration! It is very encouraging to hear from you all. It is so important for us to keep on educating ourselves with new systems, regulations, and education is changing constantly. I think Art integration is great for this time, and the future because if can literally be transformed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of the images you have posted on your blog post do not belong to you, but belong to the Arts Integration Menomonie organization. Please give credit and post links to the images as you do not have rights to use them. Link to www.artsintegrationmenomonie.org Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some of the images you have posted on your blog post do not belong to you, but belong to the Arts Integration Menomonie organization. Please give credit and post links to the images as you do not have rights to use them. Link to www.artsintegrationmenomonie.org Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your comment, Victoria. I have been in touch with Kim and I am sure she will fix this right away!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Victoria for checking out my blog! In the process of writing this and submitting I must have deleted the credits! Thanks again, I hope on your quest you were able to read :)

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete