Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Who, me?!

Living in one of the most beautiful, adventurous and comfortable places has led me to find all those things within myself. I have traveled a bit, I have met many people, I have had many kinds of loves. I find myself always coming back to Plymouth.

I decided to listen to me, the part of me that knew that these experiences; happy and exciting, horrible and lonely, were to be respected and to be used in the l i f e I wanted in Plymouth.

Art therapy can be described in many different ways, through many different eyes. I have met and conversed with many, I have worked side by side, and I needed it when I lost my best friend.

With this passion and experience, I knew that Art therapy would carry on with me through my schooling. I contacted my dream school in Cambridge MA., Lesley University, and asked what classes I should focus on to be able to get my Masters in Art Therapy at Lesley. They were amazing! I have spent hours upon hours talking, laughing, crying, and begging! We mapped out what my years at Plymouth State would look like. I knew I wanted to focus on Early childhood, Art and Psychology so we picked my core classes as well as extra ones that would only benefit my future.

It has been five years and I can see the light! With the help of Interdisciplinary studies I have been able to become well-rounded in all of the disciplines I have been fortunate to study (Art, Psychology and Early Childhood studies). Thus creating something new by crossing boundaries, and thinking across them. With a disciplinary background I have been able to gain experience in a wide variety of places. Many schools through student teacher observations, such as Holderness Prep where I was able to utilize some of my drama therapy lesson plans.

The Hunter School is where I volunteered Therapeutic arts this past summer. It was an a l i f e changing experience. This school connects with everything that I wish to be surrounded by. The children were eager, hopeful and excited. I knew that this was the best way for them to connect with art because it was unobtrusive. I recently was extended an invitation to have a full time job with them teaching art in a therapeutic setting such as the one I provided over the summer! I am so honored and excited to yet again start another chapter in my l i f e.


 
These are some art that I have done in my own therapy sessions as well as with students. I recently started engraving wood, which is such a therapeutic experience!

7 comments:

  1. What beautiful pieces of art and congratulations on the job offer! It must feel good to know that all your hard work has paid off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh for sure! Thank you very much! I am looking forward to this next chapter!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree that the art is just so wonderful to see. Really made this post come alive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great program, and really interesting use of colors, etc. in your post. Great to see such a match between your skills, interests, and the program you are pursuing. I look forward to seeing how it all comes together for you - great program idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I believe that it is as exciting as you make it! Being able to do something that truly makes me happy and jump out of bed is what truly makes it exciting. As well as being able to share it with everyone else :)

      Delete
  4. Hey! Nice to see another person with the same goals as I. I will be seeing you in graduate school i plan on going to Lesly as well! You're artwork is fascinating, i really enjoyed seeing some of those pieces. Are you doing the low residency program? Looking forward to hearing more about your goals and plans. Where is the Hunter School?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Lesley actually got a hold of me and informed me that they are offering Art Therapy Masters online! Three weeks in the summer (does not need to be in a row) I will go on their campus and receive the credits needed in the University. They also help with getting you the hours you need for the program by reaching out to places around your home. I LOVE LESLEY! They know how hard it is to get an Art Therapy degree that is credited!

      The Hunter School is in Rumney. Beautiful school, surrounded by a lake, woods, mountains- and a compassionate community!

      Delete