Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Introduction




Hello my name is Heather Janssen and I am in my last semester at Plymouth State University (PSU). Over the last four years I have taken many long drives from my home in New Jersey to pursue my Bachelor’s degree.

I have had an interest in learning about the weather for many years. I would sit and watch the meteorologists on TV for hours just so I could know what the latest forecasts would be at home and around the country. I knew that I wanted to be that person on TV. I made my decision that one day I would go to college to become a meteorologist. 

That decision led me to come to PSU in hopes of obtaining a degree in meteorology. My first two years at PSU I was declared as a meteorology major. Towards the end of my sophomore year, I began to question whether this was the major for me. Part of me wanted to stick with the major, but I knew I would not be completely happy. That is when I found out about the Interdisciplinary Studies (IS) program. I knew that this program would allow me to continue with meteorology as well as grow in another discipline. 

My IS major, “Weather Journalism”, combines the disciplines of meteorology and communication. With this major I will be able to work in different fields such as broadcast and print journalism, television, and radio. I also want to get a Master’s degree in scientific journalism in a few years once I have some work experience. 

I think that Interdisciplinary Studies is a very important part of in a higher education system. Interdisciplinary gives people the ability to look at a subject manner from different perspectives rather than being one sided. It makes learning more exciting because as an IS major you are able to take what you have learned from multiple disciplines are use them in your everyday life.


These pictures are from my storm chasing trip that I went on this past summer. It was a great opportunity for me to put my Interdisciplinary Studies major to use by having to use both meteorology and communication skills. I worked with a team in deciding the chase location by looking at various meteorological variables as well as creating a blog that each day I wrote a new post about the day’s events.

8 comments:

  1. Heather those are beautiful pictures! I love the fact that you LITERALLY chase your dreams :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo-- I would like to check out your blog, too. Is it still up and running?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it is! Here is the link: http://sunystormchasing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice program idea, one I think others may copy in the future, and of course great pics in the blog post. Great ideas, and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Heather! Thanks again for helping me out of Meteorology and into IS! I'm glad we are pursuing this adventure together :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Heather! Your IS degree sounds really awesome and fun! Ever since I was little I was interested in the weather. I remember sitting outside and just watching the clouds and in the morning I would have to what the weather would be like for the day. When I was reading your blog one of the first things I thought about was one of my favorite movies, Twister, and how awesome that would be to chase storms like that! I think you have a very cool and interesting program, good luck!

    ReplyDelete