Friday, January 30, 2015

Hi I'm Izzy!

Hi!


I grew up in a small town called Amesbury in Massachusetts. You've probably never heard of it but it's next to Hampton Beach to put it in perspective. I lived in Plymouth for my first three years of school but now I live in Gilford right on Lake Winnipesaukee with my loving boyfriend Brad.
Scuba diving in Key West
I work at a marina right down the street from me and thrive in the sunshine when it's not -20 degrees out. In the winter I hide in blankets and watch Netflix mostly, and sulk outside to get to the gym. But during the warmer months I am unstoppable; rock climbing, scuba diving, sailing, beaching, running, hiking, etc. I love to be outside, and live in the perfect location for it.
 

Beach bouldering in Jupiter, FL (Photo cred to Brad Reep)
 When I first got to PSU, I was majoring in Meteorology. In fact, I suffered through 3 years of it. I say suffer because I hated it, but was afraid to "give it up." It was hard, but not impossible. I just ended up losing interest in what I thought I loved for a number of reasons. When I finally decided to make a change, I went to Robin for help (thanks!) and she helped me transition into IS. My major now is Scientific Communication, and since I did 3 years in hard science I am doing my senior year currently in mostly communication classes. I also ended up with a Technical Mathematics minor along the way.


Climbing in Rumney (Photo cred Andrew Pohl)
Interdisciplinarity, to me, is all about being able to combine multiple areas of knowledge by integrating them together. Pursuing IS is one of the best things that has ever happened to me because I feel free to use multiple interests and areas of information to create something that will be useful to exactly me specifically and what I want to do. I feel like I was able to customize my future instead of trying to fit into a cookie-cutter predetermined path to follow, and that excites me. I've become a more versatile member of society by being able to functionally communicate and know a lot about science. This provides me with opportunities to communicate science to people who don't understand it, or have a scientific job that requires a lot of communication.


Right now I'm not sure where my BS will take me, but I've been looking into Medical Technology lately, so we'll see where that goes. I can be a doctor without actually being a doctor, and the constant hands on activity and interesting interactions sounds really exciting to me.


New Years (Photo cred Patty Manning)
My best friends (our trivia team is Kitten Mittens)
Hiking Mt.Major (Photo cred Brad Reep)
Climbing Canon Mt., Whitney Gilman Ridge (Photo cred Jon Raymond)
                                                     



  -Izzy

p.s. Sorry for the day late submission! Because of the snow my flight from Florida got delayed two days and my connection flight got delayed in between and I've been traveling nonstop but I'm finally back!








3 comments:

  1. Even though I have known you for a while, Izzy, it was fun to learn so much more about you here! Happy to finally have you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great intro, and I look forward to seeing where your interdisciplinary work take you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Izzy! Your pictures are amazing and look awesome! I'm glad that you finally found a right fit for you in this IS program! I'm looking forward in seeing what this program will do for you with your Scientific Communication Degree!

    ReplyDelete